Back to School Top Tips
from Goddard Chiropractic
After the long summer holidays, going back to school can be quite a shock to the system.
My two eldest children are starting back at school with eager anticipation and they need to stay on top form if they are to keep fit and healthy and get the best from their schooling.
In my career as a Chiropractor I have see a lot of children who suffer from aches and pains and a host of different complaints and illnesses.
Here are my Do It Yourselves top tips for children who want to stay top of the class:
- Get enough good quality sleep – go to bed early enough and make sure all computer or television screens are off at least an hour before bedtime. The light from screens has been shown to disrupt melatonin (the body’s sleep chemical).
- Have a decent breakfast – don’t scrimp on the portions and quality of this important meal that sets you up for the day! Eat energy sustaining foods such as eggs, or cereals like porridge or muesli with yogurt and fruit. Avoid sugar – it only gives you short -lived energy and is known to suppress your immune system and some forms of sugar are toxic to the body!
- Use a rucksack to carry your school stuff – carrying only the things you need for that day and nothing extra. Of course you need to make sure you use BOTH shoulder straps to help distribute the load evenly.
- Warm up before sport and stretch out after – keep your joints flexible and muscles in good shape.
- Sit well – you will be sitting down a lot, so make sure you sit well, use your postural muscles to keep you upright and don’t slouch! Try not to have your head forward of your body when your reading or working at a screen, keep it so your ears are in line with the middle of your shoulders to save those poor neck muscles!
If you are experiencing any aches or pains from sitting, sports or any mysterious ‘growing pains’ and you want an expert opinion on how best to feel better, I am qualified to diagnose, treat and give advice for many common and not so common childhood ailments, keeping our kids healthy and vital.
If you or your child are suffering with pain call us on 0118 966 4431 for a consultation.
Have fun and don’t let back to school be a pain.
Best wishes to all from all at Goddard Chiropractic.